Philip Booth was born in Huddersfield in 1949. He studied at Hornsey College of Art and Manchester College of Art and Design with an HDA in Sculpture in 1972. He won a Japan Scholarship 1978-80. He is a member of the Royal Society of Sculptors.
He has had work in over 100 exhibitions in the UK, EU and Japan including a number of major national opens and 25 solo and small group shows with several recent major shows in the UK and Ireland. He has also made a number of site specific works, landscape design and public art works.
From 2002 – 2010 he was Professor of Design at Nagoya University of Arts in Japan. Prior to this he was senior lecturer at Falmouth School of Art and a visiting lecturer at a number of major institutions throughout the UK.
Selected Solo & Small Group Shows
- 1995 "The Bloodshot Eye", The Gallery in Cork Street ,London.
- 1995 "The Bloodshot Eye", The Midland Arts Centre, Birmingham, Hotbath Gallery, Bath and Plymouth Arts Centre.
- 1997 “Medusa’s Garden” CASA Gallery, Tokyo, Japan.
- 1997 Solo show Galerie 141, Nagoya, Japan.
- 1997 Toyota Automobile Company Gallery, Nagoya, Japan. Solo Exhibition.
- 2000 "Between East & West" Two Person Show, Daiwa Foundation Gallery, London
- 2002 "Gyo" 4 person show, Gallerie 141, Nagoya, Japan.
- 2004 Solo Exhibition, Gallery Kozuka, Nagoya, Japan.
- 2005 “Hidden Narratives” 4 Person Show Gallery Naofu, Gifu, Japan.
- 2006 Solo Exhibition, Gallery Kozuka, Nagoya, Japan.
- 2009 Solo Exhibition, Gallery Kozuka, Nagoya, Japan.
- 2009 Solo Exhibition, Project Gallery “CLAS”, Nagoya University, Japan.
- 2009 “A Japanese Retrospective” Gallery Be, Nagoya University of Arts, Japan
- 2010 “Intersecting Narratives” 2 Person Show, Owariasahi City Art Gallery, Japan
- 2011 British Art Medals Society, Annual Medal Commission
- 2012 “Et In Arcadia Ego” Solo Exhibition, Royal Cornwall Museum, Truro
- 2014 “Unique Traces from Geological Time”. Solo show, Dean Clough Galleries, Halifax
- 2017 “West Meets West” 3 person show. Uillinn Arts Centre Skibbereen, Co. Cork Ireland
- 2021 "Encounters at the Interface", The Gallery, Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens
Selected Group Exhibitions:
- 1993 Millfield Open Exhibition.
- 1995 Angela Flowers Selection, Newlyn Art Gallery.
- 1998 "In dent" Sculpture Show, Stroud House Gallery, Stroud, Glos.
- 1998 Critics Choice - Theo Waddington's Selection, Newlyn Art Gallery.
- 1998 "Viewpoints" Artsway Gallery, Hants.
- 1999 "Stroud Open" Stroud House Gallery, Glos.
- 2000 "Japanese Connections" C Square Gallery, Chukyo University, Nagoya ,Japan.
- 2006 "Draws On” Artist’s Drawings, Falmouth Art Gallery UK.
- 2009 “NSA” Royal West of England Academy, Bristol
- 2011 RWA 159 Annual Open Exhibition, Bristol
- 2012 “Site-non-Site, Kestle Barton Gallery, Mannacan.
- 2012 “New Light on Newlyn”. Plymouth City Art Gallery and Museum.
- 2013 SW Academy of Fine Arts Open Exhibition. Lional Aggett Award, 1st Prize
- 2013 RWA 161 Annual Open Exhibition, Bristol.
- 2013 “Medals and Minatures” Sladmore Contemporary, London
- 2015 Works in Bronze and Other Media, Baroni Gallery London
Major National and International Exhibitions:
- 1995 “Osaka Triennale”, Osaka, Japan.
- 2004 “Toyota Triennale”, Toyota City Art Museum, Japan.
- 2007 “Toyota Triennale”, Toyota City Art Museum, Japan.
- 2000 Sculpture Residency, Seto, Japan. AHRC Award.
- 2011 International Drawing Residency, Hanover, Germany.
- 2009 Philip Booth. Nagoya University of Arts
- 2019 "Talking with Philip Booth" by Marcy Leavitt Bourne. The Medal ISSN 0263 7707
- 2021 "A World by Itself" by Mercedes Smith. Drift Magazine ISSN 2632 9891